Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Amsterdam => pseudo-Thanksgiving

So in case you haven't noticed by now, posts are slowing up. It's not so much that less is happening (although life in general has seemed to slow down some), but more so that I am getting bored constantly typing on this site and would rather (when on my computer) spend time watching TV, reading, chatting, and reading the news. Also, things such as 'crack addicts' and 'funny looking dogs' and 'strange czech ways' are no longer as interesting to be mentioned. So since the posts are slowing down, let's go back in time to try to catch up.
Last Thursday was a fun night of drinking with an early wake up, although not nearly as early as I had expected; I thus had a little bit of rushing to do when I got up. Once I settled down however, most of Friday was spent relaxing. I landed in Amsterdam, found Joey's friends, and walked around the city Friday night. It turns out that many coffee shops require official ID (to prove that you're 18), and since 2 of us didn't have passports or driver's licenses, we had to curtail our night. We waited a while at the train station since trains only come once an hour and we were staying at the airport Crowne Plaza (about a 30 minute ride from the central station). Saturday morning we woke up and walked around for a while. I believe that we walked through the Liedseplein and possibly over to the Rembrantsplein. We also took a tram by the flower market, which I would presume was pretty dead because of the freezing temperature and grueling wind. Or maybe it was the snow in addition to that- I'm not really sure. We also went to the Van Gogh museum which was really neat and had lots of pretty pictures. I wish I could give a better description but I've never been good at understanding art, and my decent writing and poor vocabulary has decreased to poor writing and crap vocabulary.
My favorite part of Amsterdam was probably the food. Amsterdam was designed to have multiple coffee shops on each street, and between them are a galore of bakeries, fast food restaurants, and more. I still didn't get to try the two famous foods in Amsterdam: Rijsttafel and French fries with mayo. Nonetheless, I had more than my fair share of delicious food at all hours of the day. I guess it's a reason to go back to Amsterdam. And because I want to check out some crazy nightclubs and more cool historic areas that I didn't get to see. I think it would be a fair statement to say that I experienced and saw everything while seeing and experiencing nothing there.
Joey and Jon arrived Saturday night and we hung out all night and then all day Sunday. It was fun; lots of fun. But still, I had to leave Sunday night for my 9pm flight. It was quite hard to make it to the airport, although I did, even though I made it there a little too early (about an hour too much time there). I got home at midnight and skipped Czech class the following morning at 830. I turned in my Czech final excursion presentation that Tuesday (it was due last Thursday, but my teacher [who I will add told me it was fine] said I had to redue it for Monday because it wasn't good enough), which was a high quality pseudo-interview with my yoga instructor. Yesterday I went shopping for Thanksgiving-esque products such as a frozen turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce (ocean spray baby, unfortunately already made), sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, string beans, and fruit. YuM. They unfortunately do not sell any form of pumpkin pie mix in this country. Once I leave class in 15 minutes I will be going home to cook our pseudo-Thanksgiving meal for tonight.
[We decided to move up Thanksgiving tonight because 1 person will be out of the country tomorrow and 2 will be going to dinner with family members/friends' families. Thus tonight should be the 3 CIEE flats in our apartment, and I think we will have about 8 people enjoying our feast. I'm still not sure what I will be doing tomorrow. I was invited to join a few people at eating out (expats style), but at the same time I don't think Robert will be able to eat a non-hotdog/french fries or non-quesadilla meal if I don't assist. I have also been informed that a ton of people plan on ditching school for Thanksgiving in a show of patriotism, and I'm pretty sure that I'll be joining (although my absences are increasing), so I might spend tomorrow cooking a duck!]

No comments: