Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Fetal Alcohol Syndrome All Grown Up

Having devolved into a blogger, I felt myself compelled to update this blog last night when I got home at X am (my guess is between 3 and 5). Unfortunately, when I woke up this morning, I was still in my jeans, still in my wet T shirt, still on the couch, and still had my homepage up because I never got past opening the browser. Not again...
Unluckily, it was different from any other time that I've done this; it was 8:20! Usually, I wake up at 7:20 to get to my 8:30 class on time. Usually, I shower, brush my teeth, change, eat, and have some free time before I walk to class. Usually, it takes 20 minutes to get to class but I give myself 25. Not today. Today, I combined showering and changing by putting shoes and a jacket on. I also combined brushing my teeth and eating by shoving a roll in my mouth. I even combined free time and a walk by running the 2km as fast as I could. It was terrible.
Whereas I usually have a pretty low heart rate and am able to run if I need to, I am quite different in Prague. I've had practically no exposure to exercise since getting here, especially cardio. I think my max heart rate this morning was a 180 [not 200] because I was still a little drunk, and I think that my heart rate was north of 175 on my terrible run. I managed to get to class 5 minutes late; given that once i reached the 100 stairs at the end of my run, I nearly died and needed to walk, I was relatively impressed that I got up and got to class in just under 15 minutes. As I walked into class, my heart was still racing faster than a techno song.
Before I go on about my substitute teacher, I feel that it is imperative to identify my mindset at this time. Having pretty much woken up after my brisk run, I decided to maintain an extremely low energy state in order to make napping after Czech class easier. Similar to a Windows computer on Standy By, I sat in the corner preparing to hibernate. Given my teacher's energy level, this was somewhat difficult.
Yesterday, my Czech teacher was sick and required a sub for the past 2 days. When I walked into class yesterday, although a little confused about where my teacher was, I understood that it was still my class. Upon sitting, the sub introduced everyone to me, then said her name in prepartion of asking my name. After successfully answered the question, my teacher screamed 'FANTASTICO!' I felt even dumber upon her obvious sarcasm, until I realized she was actually serious. I am pretty sure that my sub has worked with mentally challenged students before because she definitely had a way of making me not feel bad about being retarded. Usually, I feel bad in class about not doing any work or knowing anything, and then requiring my teacher to give me the answers. Yesterday, this totally changed when I actually learned different prepositions and had to have been being mocked by a hyperenergetic Czech Special Ed teacher. Wow, talk about demoralizing: when you get to the point that you don't feel bad about not being able to learn and your teacher has treats you the same as a kid in Kindergarden with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, you know something's wrong.
As far as food goes, since my return to Prague, I have been 'preparing' for Yom Kippur in a manner similar to the pre-Passover house sweep for bread. Basically, I'm running low on groceries and only have eggs and chicken cold cuts and rice and ice cream (in addition to my garlic, onions, and spices). I didn't combine all 4 dinner, only the first 3, and made a traditional NOLS meal of 'scrambled gook.' Again, given the proper combination of hot sauce, garlic, onions, pepper, salt, and oregano, anything can be fixed. Well, not F.A.S. in Czech class.
Since finishing my hibernation this morning, I made an egg, wrapped it in chicken cold cuts, and headed off to class where I now am. Having mandatory attendance and boring classes, I spent 4.5 hours painting pictures on MS Paint (I miss kidpix), checking maps of Europe and where I can travel, being on facebook, and utilizing wikipedia. Today in class, I am at least using my time wisely to update anyone else who is bored on the other side of this blog. I guess it's good I didn't waste money on notebooks, because then I'd just be doodling instead of typing.
I think that I'll probably be blogging more in class, in part because I have nothing else to do, and in part because I'll probably be going out more at night and thus unable to update at 4am (I gave it a shot), and probably be blogging a little less frequently (like every 2 days) because I'm really running out of stuff to add.

No comments: