Thursday, October 23, 2008

I'm in Love with a Hobbit

Whether you've been to Prague or are planning on it, you either have or will notice - subconsciously or consciously - that none of the people, whether students are workers, ever work or study. It's quite the weird phenomenon, and I've heard other students on my program comment on it as well. I do have proof of this, both for supposed students and whimsical workers. As I have previously stated, my study center is in the historic district of Vysehrad, and being a historic district, there are always tours flocking around; one day, I even helped a British coupe find their way from Old Town to Vysehrad because I was on my way to class. Anyways, in addition to tourists buzzing around Vysehrad, there are class tours there every day too. I'm not talking about once a week one high school sends their juniors to finally see a historic area or something. I'm referring to every single day of the school week, whether rain or shine, there are between 20 and 100 students, somewhere between 1st and 12th grade, cramming into the ancient walls of this rebuilt neo-Baroque fortress. I think this is ample proof that students don't go to school. As far as older people, there are ALWAYS people on the trams. I can understand people going in the morning to work, and people at midday going to lunch, and of course people coming home from work in the evening. But why would some one be dressed up at 2pm? Or what about 1030? Every day, every tram? That can't be a coincidence. And I don't just mean 1 or 2 people on the trams. When we are working on conditioning in architecture class on Wednesdays (sprinting to a tram), we can often barely fit onto a tram because they are so crowded. Perhaps people just enjoy dressing up and pretending to go to work. If not, I have no idea what they are doing, unless they are getting paid to ride the trams constantly.
Anyways, I had 2 midterms today, in Czech and Psychoanalysis. I figured my Czech teacher had told us everything that would be on the exam, and anything she hadn't, she would give us the answer in class. I also figured that my AP Psych professor had prepared me well enough sophomore year of high school to pass a test about Freud. Surprisingly, I was right on both.
I guess our teacher felt bad after only giving my class 15 minutes of review yesterday because she gave her following class the full 50 minutes to go over exam material. Luckily, roommate Robert is in that room, so he gave me everything that she failed to forward to us. Since some of our examples were the exact same, and she had read off a piece of paper for both, we figured - correctly - that she was reading off of the test. After 15 minutes of review last night, and 15 minutes of review on my walk to class, I was incredibly prepared surprisingly: especially since I suck at Czech. The answers that I was iffy about were checked over by my teacher, and she either told me what to change them to, or informed me they were correct. An example of this: each question of section 1 had a sentence which needed a past or present verb filled in the blank from 5 choices of verbs. I had narrowed 1 down to 3 choices, and wrote what I thought to be the best answer. I then asked what 1 of the other 2 possible verbs meant, and she responded, "don't worry about that, you're answers right." I also had her check over my short essay which was quite helpful, and review it before turning it in. In case you think she just glimpses over each persons test upon submitting the exam, you were wrong. The guy who turned his test in before me say for a minute while she looked at it, then she passed it back to him when she found it a mistake. I did great.
I then went to lunch and spent 17 krown on a bowl of soup [the dollar is up to 19.5 krown!!!] and 75 krown on a plate of mystery rolled meat [i think pork wrapped around cooked salami, onion, and garlic], potato dumplings, and a delicious portion of my favorite, kraut. For an additional 21 krown, I got a 1/2 liter of beer. I then walked back to the study center, and instead of studying for my next midterm, researched Czech recipes, breweries around the country, and meaningless trivia. With 15 minutes left before the exam, I opened my notes and studied. Since I only need a 60 to pass the class, I figured if I got over a 50 on this test I could pull it up. My guess: at least a 75 if not an 80, or possibly even a 90 [if he can't read my writing and figures the answers are right]. It was amazing. I then proceeded to ignore everything my teacher said as I further researched breweries and talked to my mom online. Luckily, here is my professor's quote from after his lecture: "i hope youre not too confused by all this, but it doesn't really matter because we aren't going to discuss it much or use it at all and I don't think I'm going to quiz you on it. so if you're just a little confused it's still OK." After that, he started discussing something that I actually knew and he asked me questions for 5 minutes so I got mad participation points before running off home and talking to the parents. I have since done an hour of exercise which killed me [partially the intensity and partially the lack of previous exercise] that even included 3 sets of 8 pullups on a 4x8 piece of wood - a new record. I am about to shower and go meet Joey and Aunt Julie for dinner at the Intercontinental, and I feel really bad that I can't shave before seeing them, but I just don't have enough time. Hopefully they'll forgive me.

No comments: