Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Putting my Head on the Line

Ahh, another restless night interrupted by the curt blasts of my alarm clock, cell phone, and watch with a few aching minutes to separate the different alarms. As unfortunate as the alarm was, what was more unfortunate was me having to go to class. In general, I have gotten used to the early Czech language class, but today was different. Today I got to class at 8:30 and arrived in an empty room. No students, no teacher, no lights. After waiting for a minute, I proceeded to peep my head into every other classroom [there are like 6 total] to look for anyone: who knows, we could have switched rooms for the day, right? Wrong. After 5 minutes of waiting and walking, my teacher came down the stairs from the office and came into the room. At least now I knew that I didn't miss class getting cancelled, even though there was no class.
For the past 2 days, Prague has hosted some exposition of world people [I think second-class leaders and prominent non-leaders of states] which included forums and discussion panels on EU politics and economics. For 1 class it was mandatory, and for my economics class, it was optional. I wish I had known that there was a signup for this because although boring, it was probably interesting too. Plus there was supposedly a totally free, sick lunch buffet with free Pilsner. Damn.
Anyways, half of my Czech class was supposed to attend this, even though our Czech teacher told us yesterday that only 2 of the 8 students were going. This still leaves 3 students not accounted for, of which 1 came after another 5 minutes. Not too terrible, but sitting in an empty room for 5 minutes wondering where everyone went wasn't fun, then sitting for another 5 minutes with just the teacher was even less fun. Then she made us do worksheets despite no one else being there. Typical.
I walked to steal a free breakfast, went home to catch up on some Entourage while reading some more, then had to return for Psych class. I have begun to believe that all of my classes are actually interesting, and the teachers actually know what they are talking about, its just they have such boring voices that even if they were interesting, they'd still lose my attention. Even my Psych professor, who is from London, has just such a bland and monotonous voice that it reminds one of driving through an endless tunnel. At 3:24 - when class was supposed to be over at 3:20 - having packed up and stared at the clock to show my professor that class had ended, I couldn't bore myself anymore and just walked out. I pretended to be in a rush to another class like the other people who did that too, even though I had to walk back in front of the class when I walked the wrong direction: usually I walk home through the park; today, I would be taking the metro home.
Why would I be taking the metro, despite having figured out that it takes an extra 5 minutes to get home via making a circle around my apartment? There is a hair cuttery right next to the metro stop. That's right, I decided that it is finally necessary to trust my head with a random hair salon in Prague [they were closer to a salon than a barber]. The one good thing about this is that no matter how bad it could go, I can always just have them shave my head if I hate it. The one bad thing: they speak no English there. None; and when I say none, I mean I'm totally screwed. Luckily, I was smart enough to ask a 6'3 Czech girl in my Psych class to help me with some words. She gave me 2 phrases: 'less here' and 'more here.' Wonderful.
After seeing me read the phrases to her, my cutter grabbed the sheet, read over my sheet, handed it back to me, pointed to the sides of my heads, said 'more here' in Czech, pointed to the top of my head, said 'less here' in Czech, and picked up the buzzer. Overall assessment: communication with customer - D+
Aesthetics of atmosphere - A-
Skill with buzzer - A
Softness with scissors - B-
Overall Quality of Cut - A
Overall price - A+++
For under 9 USD [with tip already included], I got a really good haircut. Other than that Czechs spend less on their scissors that American stylists do - and thus the scalp hurts a little more afterwards - the experience was extremely pleasant, the cut was surprisingly superb, and the price was expectedly inexpenssive. I went home, to a quick powernap, and read some more before cooking dinner.
With some extra rice left over, I decided to make some 'rice pudding'-esque sweet rice. After pouring some cinnamon into the bowl, I added quite a fair share of sugar. What should have been delicious quickly became disastrous after first taste. I immediately realized that the bag of what looked like sugard should have undergone a more thorough investigation because it was actually salt. I have since been cooking beets which will make a lovely snack tomorrow along with my garlic, onions, and radishes. Wow I love the weirdest vegetables.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You make my cooking sound good; a mean feat! Get a pix to show us the haircut. xoxoxox