Thursday, October 16, 2008

Keys are for Idiots

Before moving back in time, I'd just like to say that I was walking around with a kilo of onions and 6 bulbs of garlic for 2 hours. In the course of that time, I went to a cafe and had a cafe mocha and a great cup of pomegranate oolong tea. Back to last night, instead of going out and partying, which probably would have been the 'right answer' to "what should you do tonight," I decided to go to bed early and wake up refreshed. Great decision, especially since the previous 3 nights I either did not fall asleep, or dreamed that I stayed awake all night, thus making me equally exhausted in the morning. Anyways, upon awakening, I vaguely recalled Robert's weather forecast update of the week, which unfortunately proved true.
The heavens decided to piss on Prague again today. It started off as a light mist this morn, and has evolved into an extreme downpour by now. On my way back to class this afternoon, as I was singing in the rain, I interrupted my song with an appalling realization. My keys, which I keep clipped to my pants so as not to lose them when drunk, were still sitting on my kitchen table (I have to unclip them to get in the door)! This wasn't too bad, since I could just hang with some girls in our apartment building if my roommates weren't there. Oops. On the way home from class, just before finding a way back into my apartment, I happened across a homeless gypsy pissing in the bushes next to his cardboard bed that was hidden in the bushes. 5 seconds later, I stared at an anorexic looking girl sitting on a bench, and noticed her hand clasped around a syringe. Had she not had such a desperate and determined look in her eyes, and had she not been hiding the syringe, and had she not been probably homeless and sitting in a park bench, I might have thought she was diabetic as Dillon suggested. Instead, she clearly wasn't. Don't you just love what compliments the beautiful landscape and color-changing trees of autumns in Prague parks?
The girls whose couch I planned on resting on happened to not be going back to our apartment, and Jarda was at work. Ok, with 2 roommates to go, I figured I'd manage to find one of them. I also knew that Dillon was rock climbing today, so he wouldn't be available. The last problem: Robert, who may be home, never entrusted Dillon nor I with his phone number. We suspect he didn't want to be drunk dialed, but it could be any number of reasons why our suitemate never gave us his number. Anyways, Jarda gave me his number, but since Robert's parents are in town, he has been touring Prague with them all day. This had all been discovered after purchasing my Alliacae (the family that both garlic and onions belong to). As I walked back to my apartment, I weighed my options: a) stand outside in the rain for anywhere between 2 and 5 hours for whomever would arrive home first, and b) go ANYWHERE. After trying option a for 30 minutes, I relented to option b (just kidding, I'm not that stupid). I decided that I would head over to The Globe, an American-esque cafe and bar that Gina's assistant had recommended I go for the debates (all Americans go there for those... or at least all Americans without CNN and cable TV). The Globe is quite the intellectual cafe, with french impressionist paintings littering the walls and jazz whispering in your ears, and was just asking for me to sit down, pretend to be intellectual, and read. As I sat and read, sipping on coffee then tea, it took me like an hour to convince myself to get up and leave. What an awful but necessary decision. After walking and tramming home, Dillon decided to throw my keys out the window to me. Saying it is a 4 story hike to get to our apartment, I didn't want to make him come down then go back up to let me in. Neither of us expected my keys to land in a gutter though.
Just kidding, his toss into the abyss of darkness was perfect and I trapped the flying keys with my foot. But that would have really sucked if the other possibility had happened.

No comments: