Wednesday, September 24, 2008

American Backpackers and Day 1/2 of class

Another slow day, today was at least nice out. The temperature has raised significantly since the Prague winter of last week, and will hopefully be more like today more often. After 45 minutes of Czech language class, I remembered that the intensive section had ended and the class would thus be done in 5 minutes, not 4 hours. What a smile that put on my face. I then went and stole free breakfast from the breakfast provided for the dorm kids, and walked to fix my schedule.
Last week, CIEE had messed up my schedule with the class I wanted most, then blamed me for their mistake. Today, after me begging them to beg the teacher to overload it, they fixed it. But of course, I had to wait close to an hour for that to happen.
When I got back to my place, all I wanted to do - and needed to do - was my laundry. Once I picked up my book, Into Thin Air, I didn't put it back down. I also realized 5 minutes before I had to leave for class that all of my clothes still smell of German beer. Damnit.
I did however go to my first class later that day! Having been in Munich for Day 1 of classes, I felt obliged to go today. At Emory, I either have three 50 minute classes or two 1:15 minute classes per week. I usually only fall asleep in about 1, sometimes 2, hour and 15 minute classes per week. Not too poor of a performance, and at least I try to attend. Here, attendance and participation are both mandatory, and classes are an hour and a half. Of course, I barely survived but managed to keep my eyes just not shut; I have no idea how I'll keep this up for the semester though.
Tonight I decided to meet up with the 3 American girls that I met on the train home from Freising [the stop 5km north of the Munich airport]. Each of them is very lucky, saying that 1 will be traveling Europe for a month while the other 2 will be continuing around the world for an additional 6 months. I decided to take them to the first bar that Jarda took me to, U Sudu. In case I didn't post about this place, even though I might have, U Sudu appears from the street to be a nice, upscale wine bar. To get to the cool part, however, you must walk through the whole bar and through a tiny door in back. Upon squeezing through here and down a flight of stairs, you must duck under a low ceiling and go down anther flight, into an area that looks an awful lot like Roman aquaducts. This other part of U Sudu reminds me an awful lot of the opium house that inspired Samuel Taylor Coleridge to think of Kubla Khan in Xanadu. I guess U Sudu had jazz and rock playing instead of a harp or some drums, and it also had cigarette smoke [and surprisingly just that type this time] instead of incense burning. On our walk out, we saw Sean and Dave, the guys I went to Munich with who had a slight miscommunication regarding Burger King and train departure (Sean missed the train looking for Dave, then slept at the Czech Consolate and took a late train back like me). U Sudu was really cool and I was glad to actually see Sean back in Prague instead of just hearing he made it. It was also fun to hang out with my new American friends again (who invited me to meet up with them again while they are in Europe), as I hope they enjoyed their final night in Prague.
I have since been doing another damn scavenger hunt, this time a take home internet based one, for CIEE that could again be classified as a complete waste of time. At least there's only 1 liter of beer in me, not 6 or 7 for this assignment.

No comments: