Thursday, September 18, 2008

What's the Hardest part about becoming a Ballerina?

When we last left off, I had finished procrastinating and was beginning to drink. After about 3 litres of beer, I slowly began to remember that I hadn't had any dinner. I then quickly began to forget that, and failed to think about it again until this morning. When I woke up, I realized that there were more important things to be done today than go to Czech class. After Robert's reminder of the time, I quickly began to doze back into an alcoholic trance and remained in my coma for 3 more hours. It was much more important I maintain.
I then wrote an email to my academic advisor at home insisting that I take my Czech class pass/fail. After all, why would I want to lower my GPA for a class that I wasn't able to attend today? It makes perfect sense, and I am awaiting a response. Speaking of waiting, I waited for an hour and a half today to learn that instead of being put into my historical development of architecture course off the waitlist, CIEE decided to cross my name off the waitlist instead. For the past 4 days, whereas I thought I was in the class, I have not even been in consideration and new people have been taken in. Hopefully the teacher will consider overloading for me because of their stupidity.
In addition to missing class, I missed receiving my ticket to the ballet tonight [it was passed out at the end of class]. My excuse for missing class of being too sick [which is sort of true, I have a small cold] backfired when I was told that if I'm too sick to go to class, I'm waay to sick to go to the ballet. I convinced a lower administrative person still to get me a ticket, and after dressing up (I was one of the few without a suit, and all Czechs had suits as well), it was off to the ballet!
Because I didn't buy a program, and because they were in Czech, I had no idea what was actually happening, even though it was beautiful. Here is my description of the different acts, with an alternative possibility because I couldn't figure out which was the right one:
1. A girl was dancing in a cemetery while being haunted by her love, or she was fighting off being raped by a guy who wouldn't let her leave a room.
2. A guy fails to have a threesome with 2 girls because they choose to go after another girl then he jumps off a building, or there are 2 prison cells next door to one another: 1 with a person trying to maintain sanity the other with a person who has become a split personality already.
3. A tribute to M&Ms by having 6 guys each in a brightly colored shirt dancing on trampolines (brown was the bully and everyone loved green), or some version of West Side Story in happy colors.
4. An extremely promiscuous, transexual ballroom dancing competition or the power of the wind over kites.
As I said, I had know idea what was going on. It didn't help that CIEE gave us second and third row seats... in the fifth deck. I could only see the back and right side of the stage, and half of the front. For the prison cell dance, I couldn't even see 1 of the rooms. Talk about confusing.
1 difference between American and Czech artistic productions is the applause. In the US, if you really like a performance, you give a standing ovation. In Prague, you don't stop clapping when they bow. This horrific cycle never ends because the more you clap, the more times they come out and bow, and the more times they come out and bow, the more you have to clap. After the final section, we sat and clapped for literally 15 minutes. At this point, having not been clapping for 10 minutes, as it was dying down, Dillon decided to start it up again and see how long he could keep getting them to come out. The answer: twice. That means we had to sit for another 5 minutes and watch them bow. I felt bad for the dancers because they probably wanted to go too.
Because everyone was dressed and pressed, we decided to go get a nice dinner. We also hadn't eaten in about 3-8 hours [depending who in the group it was], and were very hungry. It's not very easy to find a restaurant that will sit 12 people at 9pm in Prague [finding 1 that will sit 2 people at 7pm is hard enough, as Dillon and I found out the first night], but we stumbled upon an Italian restaurant and pizzeria that was quite accomodating. My cheese fondue was actually supposed to be gnocchi. In my view, you can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig, and this cheese fondue still tasted like delicious gnocchi (even though it was an interesting proportion of each).
Although I have yet to study for my final tomorrow, my teacher showed our class the test today and I have been informed of what to look out for tomorrow. I wish I had a ring to give my teacher, because I don't think anything would make Frodo happier.

No comments: