Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Class :(

If you could choose between having an interesting tour guide as a professor, or an interesting professor as a tour guide, which would you choose? Probably the latter, but still, I have the luxury of having both. My Art and Architecture class [simillar to my Historical Development of Architecture class] meets once a week in lecture format, and once a week for walking tours of Prague. As my teacher joked about intimidating everyone away because we would need to jog, we slowly waited for everyone to show up. A minute after leaving, I could no longer see her because she was walking so quickly to catch a tram. 5 minutes later, she was actually running for the tram, waving her arms back and forth as if she was caught in a hurricaine. After arriving in Old Town, I proceeded to receive a free tour of some of the coolest and oldest areas of Prague. We saw a crazy astronomic clock with more intricacy and complexity than probably anything I've ever seen, and more attention to detail such that my Grandma wouldn't even find something not straight. That is, other than the windows which weren't centered on the walls inside of the tower and really bothered me. After being above ground in the clock tower, we went below ground into a few of the 80 remaining houses from the 11th century. My teacher wanted to show us the 10th century homes, but the corruption within the government supposedly sold the land of where they were to insert a Hard Rock Cafe. For a city that has 1 building over 6 stories tall, I have no idea how much money had to have been given to get rid of that land.
After such an exciting class, I was so pumped to go on my other architectural walking. However, having missed class on Monday [blame Munich], I had to ask a classmate where we were meeting. As I waited in Old Town, I learned that despite my friend being in my class, he thought he was in a different one. Hence, I should have been waiting at Prague Castle close to 20 minutes away. Having missed the tour, I went to the nearest food stuff [Old Town is very expensive, so I figured I'd go to the cheapest place around] store and bought a massive roll, a large pack of meat, and an apple. Yum.
Despite the let down of a second walking tour, I figured that my Economics class would be alittle interesting, if not quite intriguing. Jesus was I wrong. As great as my walking tour was, this was that boring. I managed to stay awake, even if my eyes weren't always open. To be fair to the class, without a prereq Economics class, we were forced to review extremely basic economics for those with no background. Lucky for me, I've never taken a class and had no idea what he was talking about. Unluckily, that is total bull and the class was too small to walk out of, as I would have done at Emory. At least it can't get any worse, and should hopefully get better once we finish basic review material.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are cracking us up in HP! :)