Thursday, September 11, 2008

Beer!

My teacher learned today that I don't know any of this language. I learned that I won't be able to learn any of it. Turns out that as easy as it may be to follow, it's impossible for me to remember any words. Somehow- similar to memorizing the entire city of Prague already- Dillon has also become as close to fluent (within our lessons) as possible, and treats it the same way I treat English, French, or Hebrew. Damn these Slavic languages. We then went to lunch as a class, and unfortunately weren't paid for. I got some unbelievable latkes and garlic soup, and beer. After much debate, I've accepted that paying 50Kc for .3L water is not worth it when .5L of quality beer costs between 20 and 40Kc. Maybe that's why these people strike me as always dehydrated. Or maybe its a combination of them having horrific breath and me never seeing them drink water. I guess that's one life adjustment in order to become more fully absorbed into the local culture.
Foosball practice was rigorous, like usual. Today we decided to have a two-a-day since my frisbee training got cut short. When we were at the park playing, we saw the swingset and decided to take a detour in that direction. Unlike in the US where useless, frivolous lawsuits threaten anyone's opportunity for fun, in Prague, the city is allowed to invest in their parks. This means that they have unbelievable playgrounds which are both real exciting, and real dangerous if you lose your balance. I just held on for dear life as I spun around in some metal thingy, and prayed that I wouldn't fall off of the skateboard-style teeter-totter. The park was just really cool, and on our way back, we saw a tall black guy speaking English. This guy just started playing for Prague's basketball team, and lives 10 minutes away from Dillon in DC. He warned us to lock everything all the time because his Ipod and laptop were both stolen in the middle of the night while he was asleep in his bedroom. His door was locked, as were both entrance doors into the building. Never underestimate how cunning the gypsy can be.
I've been studying a lot tonight for my next quiz, and have given up on it because I have made no progress all evening. I guess it could be worse, but it's still counting for a grade. This might suck.

No comments: