Friday, September 5, 2008

Welcome to Praha

Just because getting to a place can be a pain doesn't mean its not worth it. Through 4 flights, 1 lost bag, and 36 hours of travel, all I had done was read and nap. Only on planes was I able to sleep; I guess the combination of my fear of sleeping too long and the uncomfortable floor of the coffee shop kept me up all night. Since my final landing, however, the city has been quite pleasant.

My apartment is another perfect example of putting up with something in order to get to another. The five flights of stairs are only a nuissance, but when combined with 12 liters of beer in a crate, its quite difficult. Luckily its the nicest place that I've lived as a student. As if the 12 foot ceilings weren't good enough, the full kitchen and living room are decent, and my floor-buddy (a 6'7 Czech student) has a foosball table in our place. Did I mention that the rooms are huge too? In addition to living with Jarda the giant, I get to enjoy the company of my suitemate Robert and my roommate Dillon. Robert is from Canadian New York and thus chose to go to Cornell; Dillon is as close to a California surfer as you can get - except he's from D.C. and goes to Boulder (which to be fair to him has tons of Californians).

Even though my bag arrived late last night, I wasn't in the mood to unpack. It could have been that it was late, or that I was quite intoxicated. Since getting my bag back, the trip has only improved.

Today we walked around Prague, and to my amazement, I couldn't appreciate anything as much as I wanted. The unbelievably beautiful, extremely intricate tops of buildings kept distracting me from the spectacular scenery and intriguing atmosphere down below. I guess that being flooded with Prague's beauty clogged my ability to absorb most of it.

PS: Good Czech beer at the grocery goes for 14 krown per half liter [about 87 cents], and they give you 3 krown back per returned the bottle. Now that's a nice price.

No comments: