Friday, September 12, 2008

Would you like some bread with that Mayo?

I went in to class early today in order to finalize my switch into a second architecture class... I think this one focuses on form v. function a little throughout Czech architectural history which will be cool. Plus it should be similar to my other architecture class which should make both even easier. And both have only a day of class and a day of field trips each week. That should make them super easy. Did I mention that this is after learning that the classes are supposed to be easy? Yeah, even though a 96 might be a high number, it shouldn't be too hard of an A to capture. Plus I'll need those to cancel out my Czech language grade.
Our teacher went through a metamorphosis over the past 48 hours. Yesterday she started laughing and smiling, and today she changed from an Iron curtain into a beautiful butterfly. Intrinsically that is, she's still the same hobbit. I guess she realized that I don't know anything (which for some reason isn't apparent in class only on quizzes) so she decided to help me with my quiz too. This was pretty nice, and since most of it was just straight Czech [not translating from English], it was easier than the last one luckily. My grade can't go down anymore which is the good news, and it went a lot better too. Female Frodo (I feel like after a week I should know her real name for some reason though) then let us play memory. Her version is a game for Czech 3 year olds to begin learning English. Ours was the same deck, just going the other way, and filled with kids from top liberal arts colleges and universities from across the states. Shows how smart we really are.
After losing by one pair to a girl, we went 20 minutes away to a grocery store so that we'd see a different area of town. I wanted to just go across the street and get home quicker, but Bilbo Baggins disagreed. She's giving the grade so we all reluctantly followed. Having not eaten (again) in the previous 4 hours, I was starving and went to a grocery store to by a baguette. This was the last time this semester I will be doing that.
Instead of buying meat, cheese, or bread at the deli/bakery area and saving myself a little money (I'm still just below 50% sure on which meat is which), I decided to save myself a little time with a pre-made sandwich. Little did I know that the Czech people use more mayo than the Chinese use MSG. there might have only been 3 tablespoons of mayo on this small sandwich, but I'm pretty sure it was closer to 5. Given that the sandwich had 3 thin strips of chicken cutlet on it, the proportions were such that you could almost see some chicken in the soup of mayo. I picked the pieces out, wiped them off, threw out the bread, then ate a dirty apple to hold me over. After an hour in this new area of the city, the 1/2 oz [maybe] of chicken stopped holding me over, so I got a beer to fill me up a little until I could make it back to my flat. For an extra 3 koruns, I went with Staropramen, a good beer, instead of a Naty Lite equivalent. It was still the equivalent of $1.20 for a half liter. It did the trick.
I'm about to go to my first yoga class at Prague Yoga, a fairly big studio less than 20 minutes from my flat and 15 minutes from class. Afterwards, I think I'm going to check out K&K Family Gym, a steroid safe-haven for oversized central Europeans as well as a place hosting a few Americans for the next few months. Luckily they've got an olympic lifting area supposedly because that's all that I really care to work on right now. I'll probably gain back any worked off calories later tonight, but there's a chance that's a no-go; we have to be at the bus departure area at 830am for a trip to the country. Only CIEE would plan that knowing that the biggest club in Prague has their 10th anniversary party tonight.

Update: Since posting, all I've done is go to yoga and buy fruit. I don't think I'd call going to yoga the greatest thing I've done since getting here, but it's definitely up there with going to Prague Castle, going to my first bar here, and having my first beer here. I just needed a real stretch after tons of flights, a real awakening after lots of sitting in orientation and class, and a real detoxification after lots of beer. I wouldn't call my dinner scrambled eggs with salami and peppers gourmet, but it has blown away my traditional bread and cheese with a piece of fruit meal. It also didn't have any mayo- which was a huge relief; I don't think I'll ever willingly put that shit on anything again.

No comments: