Monday, September 15, 2008

Relaxed-in: a 2 day process

Yesterday was quite relaxed and not deserving of its own entry (most of these aren't worthy anyways, but I get bored). It was our first day without anything planned, and I took advantage of that by just crashing. I woke up, read and ate, then watched some TV and played foosball. Sound slacking? It couldn't have been more restful, even though losing to Yarda's left hand 10-1 (despite having a teammate) was a little frustrating. Dillon and I then went across town to play ultimate frisbee with any CIEE students who were willing. One person made the excuse that he couldn't cut because he was slipping in his tennis shoes. Right... like everyone else had cleats on and they were sprinting 4 second 40s. He also said that we technically didn't win (it was 10-9) because we didn't win by 2... in a usually timed game, it doesn't matter if you win by 2 I think. At least he was the only one making excuses about it and no one else cared. I went grocery shopping on my way home and made chicken with peppers for dinner. As I said, it was an easy Sunday, and far from special.
I hope my teacher wasn't pissed though this morning that I was late to class again. I think she was just pissed because every time that I am late, she tells me how to say, "I'm sorry that I'm late," and I can always only remember "I'm sorry." It might have been the cold weather that made us late this morning, or it could have been the incorrect tram schedule in our apartment. Or the rain and my lack of desire to move quickly in it: I'm not really sure. Anyways, after being late to class, I proceeded to not understand a single thing that we did for the first session of today's intensive language work. Not one thing. I randomly answered questions with answers that I thought were correct, and she would hold my hand and advance my answer until it was close enough to right that she could move on. As bad as it was, I somehow got a perfect score on my quiz last week. That made me feel better, and I think she didn't make me answer too many questions (in comparison to others) today because I had done so well on it. Phew.
After our second language session, a few of us decided to get Chinese food again. It's close to campus and pretty tasty, what can I say? Besides, there isn't any real Czech food nearby, or at least none that's as cheap. The only problem with the Chinese is that it's not fast food like in the states. I wouldn't have minded being 10 minutes late to session 3 if I hadn't been so late this morning, but luckily I was with someone else in my class, and a third person was even later. At least it was good, and she has become real nice. She has switched her attire from a strict, Soviet styled suit (or just outfit) into relaxed jeans and a sweater. She's also nicer than the other instructors, smiles, and doesn't hate anyone (unlike other teachers). Plus I got a 40/40. That helps too.
The weather has been beautiful today. Gorgeously grey skies and more rain than the new Houston (well, not that much). Plus its about 45 degrees outside, and there's a chance of snow Wednesday. So much for every Czech person telling me it doesn't snow in Prague. They either were lying, or Central Europe's weather forecasting system is as advanced as Africa's, and thus so bad that it screws all the farmers for telling them the wrong things.
Anyways the weather has been so hideous that I've had no motivation to do anything - including go to yoga. That is, except research bus or train tickets to Oktoberfest. That was able to be accomplished from within the confines of my awesome apartment, all the while playing foosball, watching TV, cooking, and doing pullups and pushups. Although no tickets were purchased, 2 were reserved that will even get us back the night before classes officially begin. We still may opt to take the monday at midnight bus that gets us home at 5am, although starting the first day of classes 3.5 hours later might not be entirely desired. Tickets cost under 100 USD, but I also learned that Budapest is under 40 dollars roundtrip, and there are many other places that can be reached for under 50 USD. We made the rest of our chicken, and lost 10-8 against Yarda's right hand... our biggest improvement yet. Now, its just more relaxing and some checking over Czech before anything real happens in the near future.

No comments: