Saturday, September 6, 2008

Give me your tears!

After a quick power nap last night, I got up and tried running to day 2 of orientation. Being still drunk, my roommate was unable to keep up with my sad excuse for a pace. Luckily we weren't the only ones who were a little late. At least we managed to show up, which was better than many.
The classroom sessions put me to sleep again, even though I forced myself to keep my eyes open. CIEE was nice enough to then give us a nutritious lunch of cheese sandwiches. In addition to the flimsy slice of egg on it, they treated us with a rotten piece of tomato and what I think was a cucumber. It was hard to tell the flavor of either of those however because there was more butter than cheese. Our afternoon session, another walking scavenger hunt with no prizes, left me starving and exhausted in the heat.
As useless as the orientation may have been, I did learn some things when I wasn't in it. For one, its an insult to not order a drink at a bar, as it is to bring your own water into a restaurant. Luckily, the excessive cheese on my eggplant hid the bartender's spit so I was able to forget about it entirely. Also, gypsies aren't as funny as Borat may make them appear. They are sort of a combination of homeless people and carnies, but also get the unfortunate treatment of a Alabama Black person in 1950. I won't go as far as to call them lepers, but they remain totally separate from the rest of the Czech people. That being said, one should never go anywhere near them at nighttime, especially if they are in a park.
I later learned to always check the number of the tram you go on. It turns out that it can be very hard to tell once you're on the train that you're going the wrong way... until, say, you cross the Charles River and are most definitely going the wrong way. After switching trams, I learned that the new one I got on would do a loop and take me farther in the wrong direction. An hour and a half later, I walked into my beautiful flat and crashed. So much for the early bedtime I had hoped for.

No comments: