Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Too Much Garlic? And for Beer, better late than never

I think my teacher was impressed with me today because I was outside of the class 10 minutes early. I figured that with a quiz imminent, I should at least get some last minute studying in to warm up my brain, right? Anyways, the quiz went fine. The kid sitting next to me convinced our teacher to check over his answers to part of it, and after she said it was right and he turned it in, he checked mine over. I thought it was nice. We had decided yesterday to skip our 1 hour lunch today and power through 2 sessions, then get out early today. Terrible idea. No one had any energy or food in them, and by the end we could barely function. As soon as class was over, I ran over to the nearest pub and ordered food. And a beer. For the first time, a place delivered me food before beer! Granted it was an appetizer garlic soup (a national specialty and incredible dish that makes no one want to talk to you for 2 hours [but its worth it]), but still, it was quite impressive.
Garlic soup is a beautiful bowl of boiling broth, stuffed with crunchy cruotons and plump potatoes. In addition to that, there has got to be at least 4 cloves of garlic, or at least 3 tablespoons of garlic powder [sometimes both, depending on the calibur of the restaurant]. Because it is quite light (in comparison to potato soup and mushroom soup and beef soup which are thick chowders), restaurants often serve a bread basket for dipping, and fresh bread goes fantastically with just about anything. What more could I ask for then that and a beer? Perhaps a main course, but that followed promptly. And maybe no garlic breath, but sacrafices must be made.
Despite finishing an hour early, we had to go back to the CIEE Study Center [located on the Charles University campus in Vysehrad in case I haven't mentioned that before] to meet with our professors. Although I only met 3, they seemed quite interesting and the 2 syllabi I got were awesome- even though they have really long names. The first, Historic Development of Czech Applied Art, Architecture, and Interior Design seemed great, and meets in a museum 1 of the 2 days a week. The other, Psychoanalysis of Transformation and Transition in Czech Culture and Society, is taught by a British dude who seems relaxed and like he won't mind if im not able to pay attention in class. The final professor I met hasn't decided on a syllabus yet [pros and cons], and seems slightly uptight but funny at the same time. Although his class is Economics of EU Enlargement is not quantitatively based economics, it might still be able to hold my mosquito-like attention span for hopefully half the semester. My last class, Art and Architecture of Prague: A Model of European City Development, further illustrates that the Czechs have a chip on their shoulder and want to emphasize the intellectual side of their education system by having incredibly long academic titles to potentially short and easy classes (in case the first 3 didn't already prove that).
With a filling food in my stomach and simple syllabi in my hand, I walked home with Robert, only to forget that we didn't want to take the tram (we realized this halfway to the metro stop, which takes us to the tram and is in the opposite direction of walking directly to our apartment). I realized upon entry into our building that I had nothing to do, so instead of starting to drink at 4pm, Dillon and I played close to an hour and a half of foosball. I have since done my usual minor spurts of physical activity, googled methods of transportation to Joey's apartment (a full 35 minutes away, as it is one of the farthest places from me this side of the river), and typed this. I figure that at least staying sober for these few hours made me not feel too bad about not doing too much, and I am trying to breach Crime and Punishment (slowly I may add, perhaps 3-5 pages per day?). My procrastination has made me realize however that you can put off doing something, but in the end it will catch up to you. When it comes to drinking, better late than never I guess. So on that note, Na Stravi! [cheers in czech]

No comments: