Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Girls dirnk what?

Today was pretty boring. I learned that I had a 2x10 'plank' [the decorative beams that tutor houses have?] in my ceiling, so I n ow have an official pull-up bar. I also ditched the lecture component of my last seminar today (which it turns out was ditched by 50% of CIEE students), and have my first quiz on the Czech language tomorrow (based off close to no recollection of 2 days of feeling like an infant baboon trying to learn Mandarin). This may come as a shock to me and the rest of my class who found out that we were having any quizzes just hours before the end of the day, but supposedly the rest of the classes learned this yesterday. Either way, the average grade will be a 47%. Go boosting my GPA this semester!
By ditching, I gave myself the opportunity to eat before 3pm for the first time this week. Unfortunately, the only place we saw available had to be the most expensive meal since I've gotten here. Luckily it was still under $11 for a full salad and an expensive cafes panini. One kid was lucky enough to get a free lunch because he found a bug in his meal. I didn't want to ruin everyone's disgust by mentioning the scores of bugs I alone consumed this summer on my NOLS trip. At least this bug had some form of a deadly poisonous exo-skeleton... All flies do, right?
After learning that McCain was finally ahead of O'Bama in national polls thanks to his Convention, I walked back to my dorm. Being scared to be next to my teacher after ditching the large seminar, I waited back, called Ari, and ran out of vodafone minutes as my phone lost service in a grocery. Congratulations to Ari for getting the newest assemblyman elected into the Wisconsin state legislature... next stop is you in the Senate. I learned that even though the large grocery stores here have a much larger selection, they still only carry ham. Turns out the Czechs think ham can be pork, chicken, and even turkey. This is despite the fact that the only sliced meat they have is ham, and they have no sliced chicken or pre-packaged turkey. So much for that.
As the sobriety passed (I elected to spend more money today by not drinking beer), I joined my flatmates and lately arrived at the destination point to bowling night. This doesn't work well when you are walking, but luckily Dillon somehow memorized this entire city's intricate layout in under 72 hours. This is navigating both drunk and sober. Incredible. In the billiards hall (with like a mini-bowling lane), I heard a rumor that no guys in Prague drink dark beer. Upon further investigation, darker beers here have some ingredient that makes them sweeter. This has turned all dark beers into feminine beers, which have lost the respect of Czech men. Quite contrasting to the traditional bitter American dark beers which has given girls some excuse for hating all beers in the states.
We decided to go to rok-cafe (lost 95% of the people- who weren't going there) after the billiards club/bowling event. This place was sky-high and had quite the airplane theme despite being an underground rock (literally, physically and metaphorically) bar. I caught the last daytime tram home (pre midnight) and luckily took it the right direction so that I made it home in 10 minutes instead of 4 hours.
PS: today was the closest I've had to boring. In case that wasn't obvious (by the way) by the totally irrelevant title that consists of gaining a piece of knowledge and recommendation for the remainder of my stay. That is, other than 'don't get pickpocketed' (whether by whores or tiny midgets pretending to be childrent in the play place of KFC... both of which we suspect has happened to others on our trip).

No comments: